DANCING THEIR WAY TO FIRST

Makaela Patten, Staff Writer

On Saturday, February 3, 2017, our Five Star Dance Team traveled up to Lexington, Kentucky, to compete in National Dance Alliance (NDA). “It’s been a really rough season trying to get the competition season started. We’ve been preparing all season to compete, and we finally got to, so all our hard work paid off,” said Genna Parker, a senior on the team. This was a very difficult competition, requiring lots of practice, but a very fun one. “Last week we practiced for about eight hours total for the competition. Normally we practice for around six hours a week,” said freshman Mackenzie Lee. For her, her favorite part was, “just the fact that we actually got to be a part of the competition. It was just an amazing experience all around.” After talking to Jada Tipton, also a senior on the dance team, I learned about a few setbacks that they’ve had, the most significant being concussions: “We’ve had a few girls out with concussions lately; that’s always tough on the rest of the team. Our girls performed phenomenally and also placed very well with awards, getting first in hip hop and jazz. It was a lot of fun, but also pretty sad. As a senior it was pretty much our last, first competition.” We are very proud of our Five Star dancers and can’t wait to see them continue with this amazing season.