FFA’s STATE CONVENTION

Hannah Roberts, Staff Writer

From April 26 through April 29, FFA went to the state convention that was in Macon, Georgia. Isabelle Hill won second place in plant systems and was also the state runner-up in diversified horticulture proficiency. Also, Ashley McKenzie placed third in social systems. The Parliamentary Procedure Team competed at the state level as well, but unfortunately, they didn’t make it to the finals round. There were four students who were state degree recipients, including Cole Lowery, Caleb Burger, Chance Silvers, and Ashley McKenzie. They had to work for at least 300 supervised hours in their area of agricultural study, participate in five or more state level events, complete three agriculture courses, and volunteer for at least 25 hours for community service. After doing all of this, they were given the FFA state degree, which is the highest degree that a state FFA association can award. Everyone who went to this convention includes Taylor Dyer, Nicholas Moore, Aidan Valentine, Sarah LeVan, Breanna Taylor, Dawson Simmons, Isabelle Hill, Caleb Burger, Chance Silvers, Ashley McKenzie, and Cole Lowery. After they returned, I spoke to Ms. Shearer, the FFA sponsor, about her thoughts on the convention. She told me, “To have kids competing at the state convention was a big deal. We’re a pretty small chapter, so to be competing with bigger chapters is a big deal.” With multiple students receiving the FFA state degree and second and third place winners, she also said, “I think they did well. They did really good for it to only be my third year teaching and them being so young.”