WHAT’S A BOOK?

Noah Clayton, Staff Writer

For most, being able to read and write effectively at an early age are skills that can often be taken for granted. Others, whether due to hardships or lack of opportunity, may not become literate until much later in life. In order to help increase literacy for children, Heritage High School partnered with T.C. Thompson Children’s Hospital, Barnes & Noble, and the Catoosa County Library to encourage the literacy of children. These organizations are joining the state literacy sponsor of the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA).
By definition, children’s literacy is simply the state of being literate, especially through reading and writing, at an early age. This year Heritage High School has made a commitment to assist CHOA in promoting child literacy. One way that HHS has pledged to assist CHOA is through the first school-wide community service project of the school. DECA, the BETA Club, FBLA, and HOSA have joined to sponsor the children’s literacy school-wide community project from now until October 31, 2014. These HHS school clubs are encouraging other clubs, student organizations, and even individual classes to participate in this community service project. Individual HHS students who participate in this school-wide community project will also have the opportunity to earn community service hours that may be used toward the required 200 community service hours necessary for earning the service cord at graduation. Furthermore, the winning classroom or school organization will even win a pizza party!
Heritage High School students have several options to fulfill this community service project from now until October 31. One is simply taking a self-portrait with a book or a picture of someone promoting literacy. HHS students may also volunteer at the Catoosa County Library. On Thursdays, 3:45-7:00 PM, students may volunteer to help with promotional items. HHS students may also collect children’s books so that TC Thompson Children’s Hospital may give books to their patients. On December 2, HHS students may volunteer reading books to young patients during TC Children’s Hospital Miracle Network Lighting of the Christmas Trees. Additionally, volunteers may read to elementary students at Boynton Elementary. HHS clubs, organizations, and individual classes may compete to see who can read the most books. Students may also create a children’s book. In order to receive credit for any of these community service projects, Melissa Jacks will need all participating student’s electronic documentations on a flash drive. Mellissa Jacks will then forward the documentation to CHOA as well as to the HHS Guidance office so that students will be given credit for the community service hours.
If you would like to become a part of this first HHS school-wide community project, then please go to the HHS General Market and ask for the required community service forms. You will also need to register your name and cell phone with Melissa Jacks, the HHS marketing teacher. If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Jacks at [email protected].