The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Nun Out of Ten : A “Nun 2” Review

Spencer Cordle Reviews New Movie: “The Nun 2”
Spencer Cordle

The Nun 2” is the most recent installment of the Conjuring cinematic universe but comes after “The Nun” and “Annabelle: Creation.” It is a supernatural thriller movie directed by Michael Chaves (director of “The Curse of La Llorona”) and featuring actors such as Taissa Farmiga, Jonas Bloquet, and Bonnie Aarons. The film has received a 51% Tomatometer score and a 72% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

The movie follows Sister Irene (played by Taissa Farmiga), a young nun with prior experience in exterminating demons, as she travels across France to defeat the ancient monster Valak and end his priest-slaying rampage. However, priests weren’t the only things being slayed, the storyline and individual arcs of the characters and the ways they intertwined made for an exciting movie. The pacing of this movie and how the audience is given information and clues make this movie incredible and very intriguing. For example, the history between Sister Irene and Maurice (Jonas Bloquet), a janitor at a boarding school makes for a new conflict as they try to keep their loved ones safe. Piecing together the intentions of everyone, including the demon, made me think and blur out my realizations to my friend.

Aside from all the nerdy, literary stuff, the horror aspects of the movie were amazing as well. The general atmosphere of the film was very dark and mysterious, and most scenes had dimmer lighting which wasn’t great for me because I didn’t have my glasses. Despite this, I still thoroughly enjoyed the visual effects of this movie. Knowing that a demon was on the loose had me frantically searching every corner of the screen, trying to prevent myself from being jump-scared. (Spoiler alert: I did get jump-scared.) This film contained many suspenseful scenes and sudden gory moments, keeping everyone on the edge of their seats. The demons were terrifying and the scares were very shocking. I can’t go into detail but once anyone goes into the abandoned section of a boarding school, it all goes downhill from there.

Overall, I have no complaints about the film. However, this may just be because I’m a huge fan of supernatural horror and am easily pleased. The horror elements and complex storyline perfectly capture the attention of the audience and keep them on their toes. I’d rate this movie a 9/10 and highly recommend seeing it if you’re a fan of supernatural horror movies.