The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Crawling Through the Story of the Fresno Nightcrawler

What terrifying creature is lurking in Fresno, California? Join Emmah Carpenter as she takes a deep dive into this cryptid creature hunt.

In the darkness of the night, our minds will play tricks on us. The mind will make us think we see things that aren’t actually there. Your mind may have begun to mess with you as it tries to make sense of the darkness around you. Maybe, if you weren’t alone and you told someone, they might tell you “It’s just your imagination.” But is it actually? What if it was on video? Or perhaps there’s some actual evidence proving you saw something? Would you believe it more once you saw that evidence? 

One night in Fresno, California in 2007, a man who only addressed himself as Jose had checked his surveillance cameras after a long night. When he did, the cameras captured a video of a white creature. It looked as if it was a pair of haunted ghost pants, as it had no arms or head. The video displayed a large creature that ran across the front yard of Jose’s home. When he finished watching the surveillance, he was horrified by what he had seen. He decided to post the video in hopes of receiving some kind of explanation for the bizarre creature he had seen. Unfortunately, no one could come up with a proper explanation for this sight. 

Again in 2011, another video was captured of these “ghost pants”. The same figure caught in the previous video from 2007 was found walking around Yosemite Lakes Park. but this one wasn’t alone. It seemed to have been followed by a nightcrawler much smaller than it. Possibly its baby? The video was much longer this time, as the creature didn’t seem to be in a rush like it seemed to be in the first sighting. Once this video had come out, the Fresno Nightcrawlers’ popularity skyrocketed. More and more sightings of the creature had been reported as it became more known to the world. The creature had also been seen in Ohio, but no evidence has been displayed from that encounter.  

Ever since this creature was discovered, it is now a very loved cryptid by many. Artists all around the world started to create merchandise and artwork of these unknown creatures. But, is the Fresno Nightcrawler actually real? Many seem to believe so. Those who don’t, claim it is simply a person with a sheet over its head along with slits that give it height. But those who believe in this cryptid think otherwise. They say that its legs are simply way too long and slit way too high down the middle of its body for it to be a person. They also claim that the so-called sheet is way too secure to actually be that. If it were, the sheet would have flown off the second it ran in the first video. 

Whether or not the Fresno Nightcrawler is real, we may never know. Skeptics will continue to deny the claims while believers will continue to attempt to prove its existence. It seems that everyone who stands with the idea of this creature being real stays strong with their opinions. But whatever you may think, it appears we may not know the truth of the Fresno Nightcrawler until it wants us to.