The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Scorching the Competition with Molly Churchwell

The sun had started to set as Molly Churchwell stepped up to bat. She took a deep breath in, out. The ball came soaring at her, and a hard thud rang out as the ball made contact with the bat. The ball quickly began to fly, going, going, going, gone. Churchwell had finally done it, she had made a homerun. 

Molly Churchwell is a current sophomore at Heritage High School. She is an only child and much closer with her mom. “We have really good banter and she’s just a good person.” When she isn’t in school or playing softball you can usually find her hanging out with her friends, reading, or writing. After high school Churchwell plans to either be a writer or a radiologist. One thing Churchwell wishes people knew about her is “I wish people would understand that I am a nice person, I wish people would approach me more.”.

Churchwell has played softball since she was five years old. Despite this. She isn’t on the school’s softball team. She does, however, play right field on a travel team called ‘Georgia Flames.’ When asked if Churchwell was grateful for doing the sport for more than half her life she said “I really am. Don’t get me wrong, there have been some moments on past teams where I was like ‘ugh I really wish I wasn’t doing this,’ but in the long run I’m really grateful that I did it. I like that it has put me in a team setting for so many years.” Softball has even taught her skills that she uses off the field, for example being a leader in the classroom or making quick decisions for dinner.

One quote that has always stood out to Churchwell is “ When you realize how big the world is, you realize how small your problems are” This makes sense because according to the sophomore, some of her core values happen to be “ Enjoying moments, not taking things too seriously, and success.” Churchwell’s favorite subjects in school are science and history. She particularly enjoyed learning about Abraham Lincoln, “ His top hat is really funny, I feel like he’d be a nice guy because of his little top hat.” Despite Churchwell having a fascination for Lincoln and his top hat, softball is still number one in her heart. Watch out as Churchwell takes the field by storm and scorches the competition.