The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Caleb Jumps into Healthcare

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? For Caleb, his dream was to become a nurse, and now he is on his way to making that dream a reality. 

Caleb Peponis is a freshman here at Heritage High School with a passion for helping others. Caleb has taken a step toward his goal by becoming a member of HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America). Caleb is very active in the club by participating in putting up American flags around the community for Labor Day, going to Spooky Movie Night, and the Ice skating event held in December. ¨We’ve learned life skills that we can use in the healthcare field just like leadership, like team building stuff,” Caleb explained about the activities he’s involved in with HOSA.

Alongside HOSA, Caleb has also taken the Essentials to Healthcare class (The first class of the Healthcare pathway) with Mrs. Johnson, and has plans on continuing with the pathway. Caleb says, “So, when I was really little I wanted to be like a pediatrician. And then I was like, I thought about it. Like, that’s a lot of school years, and I don’t really want to do that. So at this point, I still want to do something with kids, but I want to do more of the nursing aspect of it.”

Caleb is not only very involved in the healthcare opportunities at Heritage but, Caleb also is an all honors student having taken classes including ELA honors with Mrs. McCole, Government Honors with Mrs. Attwell, and is currently taking Physical Science Honors. Caleb considered taking AP Government, but decided it would be best to wait to take any APs. He hopes to take AP classes in either his Junior or Senior years. Another interest of Caleb’s is Graphic Design, especially after he took the first Graphic Design class. It’s one of his other goals to finish the Graphics Design pathway, as well as to also continue taking Journalism as one of his electives.

So far, Caleb has loved his time at Heritage and says he feels the opportunities the experienced so far in the short amount of time he’s been here has already prepared him for his future whatever it may be.