The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Win with a Pin: Wrestling Season Wrap-Up

Heritage High School’s Wrestling team faced so many schools this year while traveling through Georgia. They went back and forth fighting for their spot in the Championship. We had one State Champion, but many wrestlers excelled this year.
M. Petteys

The Heritage High School Wrestling team finished off their season with a 24-12 season record, and the team ended up 10th at State. Their season started with a quad meet facing Gordon Lee, Armuchee, and Coosa High School. Senior Skylar Grant said this was a great meet for the team, “Everyone on the team actually tried and didn’t just give it to them. It was also their senior night and we beat them.” The Generals beat all three teams, and their season record became 10-6. Their next match was the McCallie Invitational where the team placed 11th out of 39 schools. The team then had a dual meet against Coahulla Creek where they won the Catoosa Cup, and they rounded their season’s score to 17-8.  Senior Andrew Moore said this was the best meet for the team, “Coahulla Creek was pretty good, we got so many watches and only lost like two.” The team then hosted Pickens High School and beat the Dragons 52-28; their improved season record changed to 18-8. Heritage then traveled to Atlanta for a dual meet against Mountain View High School where they faced 12 schools and placed fifth place overall.

The regional game was the next step in the General’s path. They hosted five different schools and ended up placing third. Sadly, they did not make it to State. Usually, the top four schools make it, but this year they changed it to top two. However, The team’s spirits weren’t down as they traveled to Pickens High School  for the Burnt Mountain Classic Wrestling Tournament where the school placed sixth out of twenty-seven teams. The Generals had two champions from this meet, Evan Wingrove and Skylar Grant. Sonoraville then held a regional championship where they placed second and runner up to the champions, Central Carrollton. The team then had State Sectionals where they finished fifth out of twenty four teams. The Generals also had Sectional Champions, Skylar Grant and Evan Wingrove. Finally, their team traveled to Macon for the State Championship. Heritage had their first State Champion since 2017, Evan Wingrove, and finished top ten in the state for the first time since 2019. The team finished up their season, and they are ready for next year to try for two State Championships.