The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Wingstop Review Gone Wrong

Are the raving reviews on TikTok accurate of the popular chicken restaurant Wingstop? Journalism chicken expert Kyla Smith decided to investigate to see if these allegations were true.
Kyla Smith

On one rainy Thursday afternoon, my friend Taelor Snyder and I were craving the most raved-about wing joint on social media: Wingstop. It turns out Wingstop is the most overrated fast food place.

After school Taelor and I were just roaming around Chattanooga, Tennessee, and decided to stop and see what the hype was about Wingstop. On TikTok there are multiple video reviews of Wingstop and mukbangs, videos where viewers watch the host eat, of people trying Wingstop for the first time. Lots of people on TikTok praise fast food restaurants, so you would think it would be good for almost everybody because in commercials it looks so good but then some people don’t like it. 

I ordered three lemon pepper chicken tenders, three Louisiana rub chicken tenders, and a basket of their fries with extra seasoning. The lemon pepper chicken tender is the most popular flavor. When I took the first bite of the lemon pepper chicken tender, I got the tang of the lemon zest mixed with the mild spice of the seasoning, and it just hit me all at once. The flavor wasn’t too bad, but it wasn’t my favorite. I had so much hope for the Louisiana-rubbed chicken tenders, but the food took a turn. They were supposed to be hot, and when you dipped them in ranch it would cool them off—but no, I was wrong. They were not spicy at all; I don’t know if they didn’t make them right or if they’re supposed to be like that, but I was very disappointed in them. The only good thing I ate that night were the french fries, and they were top-tier. In my opinion, they could have added more seasoning, but they weren’t bad for my first time trying them. The one thing I had the highest expectations for was the ranch. The ranch is described as heavenly, soft, creamy, and yummy. It disappointed me. It just tasted like a regular ranch you would get from the grocery store— similar to Hidden Valley Ranch. There was so much hype for it, and when I tasted it, it just all blew away; in other words it was not good. I’m not a ranch person at all, I usually only eat it on salad or with vegetables, so I thought it would change my perspective and make me like ranch; but no, it did not.

In conclusion, even though Wingstop is loved and praised by many; in my opinion it stinks. I will never get it again, except for the french fries, because they’re really good.