The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Ready to Compete: Special Olympics & Partner’s Club World Series Overview

The annual Special Olympics and Partner’s Club World Series recently happened at HHS for our special education students.
M. Petteys
M. Petteys

On May 3rd, 2024, Heritage students apart of the special education program took a trip to Ringgold High School to participate in the Special Olympics. “This is a great opportunity for our students to compete and have fun in all types of events,” sponsor Mrs. Bonnie Sims explained. “A big highlight this year was the Partner’s Club, their [the special education students] peers, being there was a great motivation for our kids.” They made signs and cheered on the side lines to bring the most support to their friends. Some students that came out victorious were Josh Woodard who placed first in the 100 meter walk, 100 meter run, and running/standing long jump. Brady Stickney also got three wins in 100 meter run, long jump, and softball throw. Senior Caedon Summers revived first place in the softball throw and the 100 meter run. “Last year I did the 100 meter run and got 3rd. I was really determined to win this time,” she said. “I’ve loved softball since I was thirteen. I’m happy I got to be a part of the softball throw and win first,” she said. Junior Anthony Capote competed in the 100 meter race walk, shot put, and softball throw where he received second place in all categories. “I’ve done the race walk before. This year has been my highest score. Out of all the events, shot put was my favorite. I plan on competing next year,” Capote explained. Junior Raley Tucker came in 1st place on the 100 meter run and 2nd on the long jump and shot put. “There was a lot of good competition in my divisions. I ran hard and took the lead at the end. I had a lot of fun doing shot put and I want to do it next year,” he said.

M. Petteys

The following week the Partner’s Club World Series took place at the Heritage Softball Field. Students got to attend the game with a three dollar admission. The students had been practicing their softball hitting and fielding, and there was a lot of excitement leading up to the game. The Partner’s Club was joined by the Softball team, and they were able to mentor and support the competitors on the field. Senior Dev Shah showed out each time he got up to bat. He hit two big homeruns, and the crowd stood on their feet cheering him on as he went around the bases. In the field, Shah caught a ball thrown to him and got an out at second base. The home and guest team tied with the score of 10-10. At the end of the game, each student got to take home a medal to remember the fun they had that day. These events are really important to the students as it gives them an amazing opportunity to compete in the things they enjoy. “The kids took a lot away from the events, getting out there and having fun. It was not always about winning for them. It was about being brave and being surrounded by people who were supporting them the whole time,” Mrs. Sims explained. It’s easy to say the annual Special Olympics and Partner’s Club World Series are sentimental moments at Heritage for everyone involved.