CHEERING TO VICTORY

Kaitlin Kibble, Staff

When I think about our Varsity Competition Cheer Team, I think we sometimes forget that they are just as much a sport as football or softball. Just like any other sport, cheer has good days and bad days and the injuries that come free with each and every sport.

This year’s team did very well: they finished first or second in every competition they competed in and were also Region Runner-ups. It is okay to say that the girls did not disappoint Heritage High School with the results of this year’s season.

The ladies overcame many injuries this season early on, leading to a healthy and ready-to-go team just in time for state. The ladies finished this year’s season with a ninth place finish in all of Georgia; this resulted in the 2014-2015 Varsity Competition Cheer Team being the best in school history. “We had a wonderful season this year. I am so proud of all the girls for stepping up to help our team get to state. Although we didn’t make it to the finals, we had the best cheer leading finish in school history! Great way to end my senior year of cheer,” expressed Breezy Baby (Breanna Baughman).

To say that this team is just a group of girls that stands on the sidelines cheering our football team to victories would be a huge understatement, as that is only half of what falls under their responsibilities as cheerleaders. “This team is, hands-down, the best in school history. We were slightly overwhelmed on the big stage at state, but that does nothing to diminish the success of our season. It was truly a great year, and this team will hold a special place in my heart forever,” exclaimed Coach Campbell. Job well done, ladies!