Future Olympian

Future+Olympian

Kaitlin Kibble, Staff

When I hear about our swim team here at HHS, it is usually exciting news. “Jon Lancaster has qualified for state in another event,” announces Mr. Bradford. Jon Lancaster is a senior here at Heritage who started his swimming career at the young age of 4. It all started when his sister, Lauren was a swimmer, and he wanted to follow in her footsteps. Jon is self-inspired as he swims; in his own words, “I just do it: work hard, dream big, make it count.” This is what gets him through each swim meet as he has been swimming for fourteen years now, and he has high hopes of getting to continue his swimming career in college. As Jon swims six days per week, he enjoys being in a pool. “My favorite part about swimming is performing well and improving my times,” explained Lancaster as he also informed me that he will be attending state this year (just as he has every year of his high school journey). Lancaster has qualified for state in seven different races already, but when he goes to state he will only be able to compete in two of the seven. “I plan on competing at state in the 500 Free and the 200 Free; I have higher chances of winning state in these two races than any other,” exclaimed Jon. As the swim season continues, I am sure I will continue to hear the Jon’s name on the announcements, but one day when he is on the USA Swim Team for the Olympics, we will all be able to say that we knew him way back when.