HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL REUNION

Vinson Veal, Staff Writer

It’s been ten years since the release of the Disney Channel Original Movie known as “High School Musical.” The release of the movie created huge excitement among fans all over the world. When it was released on January 20, 2006, there were a total of 7.7 million viewers in the U.S. alone. Its soundtrack was the first-ever TV movie soundtrack to reach #1 on the Billboard Top 200 chart and became the #1 album of 2006. “High School Musical” told the story of two high school students, Troy and Gabriella, who share a secret talent of singing. They defied the status quo and inspired others to express their own hidden talents.

The movie won two Emmy Awards, the Television Critics Association Award, an Imagen Award, a Billboard Music Award for Soundtrack of the Year, an American Music Award and a Producer’s Guild of America Award. This movie even became over an estimated 2000 middle and high school theatrical productions. Basically, “High School Musical” inspired many others outside of the movie to express their version of defying the status quo.

Two more sequels were made from the original movie that include “High School Musical 2” and “High School Musical 3: Senior Year”. Many were saddened about the last sequel but looked forward to the 10th anniversary of the release of the original movie. On Wednesday, January 20, 2016, a few of the stars from the movie will celebrate the anniversary on Disney Channel at 8:00 EST. These stars include Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Lucas Grabeel, Corbin Bleu and Monique Coleman. You might notice that one of the leading stars, Zac Efron, will not be there. However, he will make an appearance on a pre-recorded message to the fans that will air during the showing of the movie on Disney Channel on Wednesday. More showings of the original “High School Musical” and its sequels will air throughout the week on Disney Channel and Freeform (formerly ABC Family). You don’t want to miss this reunion as I know many of you high school students, including myself, grew up watching this series.