MONSTER FAILURE

Bethany Hall, Staff Writer

In the movie “Monster Trucks,” Tripp is a teenager that just wants out. He’s sick of his little town, his little high school, and his little life in it. He hates the town sheriff, who also happens to be dating his mom, he hates the big shot guy at his school, and he hates the oil company that basically runs the town he lives in. Once he gets his old Dodge pickup truck running, the first thing he’s going to do is leave that town behind him.

But it’s not that easy.

When he’s working on his truck late one night at the junkyard, he’s attacked by a sea creature that Terrevex, the oil company that he despises, accidentally released while drilling for oil. Tripp realizes that he can tame the wild beast, and he eventually befriends him and gives him the nickname Creech. While trying to hide from men who are looking for the creature, Creech finds Tripp’s truck, climbs into the bottom, and totally controls the movement of the old truck that hasn’t run in years. Tripp hides the truck and Creech in the barn that belongs to Meredith, Tripp’s biology tutor.

After countless montages that don’t make any sense and pointless dialogue between Tripp and Meredith, it seems like the actors and makers of the movie finally find out the plot and roll with it.

This movie was very clean and family friendly. However, with all the action and confusing plot full of random, questionable twists and turns, and music when it didn’t make sense, it seemed like the movie “Monster Trucks” was just an excuse to advertise Dodge and make some money by using a cool title. Not to mention the very last few minutes of the movie was just one final montage that was an incredibly rushed segment to show all of the characters in a “what they’re doing now” kind of deal that closed with showing the back of Tripp’s new truck. What’s on the back? A Dodge symbol, as one last little advertisement before it fades to black and end credits.