DEVELOPING LIKE A POLAROID PICTURE

Emily Blevins, News Editor

For many people who attend Heritage High School and live in this area regardless of the school, there is no surprise when it comes to the fact that Battlefield Parkway has slowly been developing into a road with a much greater efficacy on people’s lives. Just to name a few of the new businesses that have recently opened that I have personally noticed to be getting a lot of hype and popularity are stores such as RAK Outfitters, Marshall’s, Petco, and many more. As far as restaurants go, there is a plethora of these as well, trust me. Some of these additions that have opened closer to within the past year include Buffalo Wild Wings, Moe’s, and more recently Cook-Out. For most people, this increasing surfeit of places to eat, shop, and more is bringing excitement. However, for some that might be looking a bit deeper into the subject, these new businesses are bringing a sense of concern.

From what I can gather, it seems as though the concerns for this sudden development is mainly rooted in the Fort Oglethorpe area in particular. When using simple logistics, it is obvious to see how locations that offer a variety of things (from clothing to hiking supplies to food for a new pet hamster,) can easily begin to bring in more people to that area. A growing population will inevitably provide growing amounts of trash, increases rates in air pollution from more vehicles in particular, and many more. And although theses consequences sound pretty negative, I believe that the pros could have a chance at outweighing the cons.

Once again there is an obvious answer present in this topic as well. Because this area is expanding, the people who live here are gaining the convenience and satisfaction of having more options in things that are a part of almost everyone’s daily lives. And not only is it providing convenience for an enormous group of people, but from an economic perspective, the development is doing great things for this area.

Overall, there are many different factors that come into play within the entire developing process of a city. There are positives as well as negatives in this situation, and it is really up to you to decide which one outweighs the other.