LeGO DONATE

Makaela Patten, Staff Writer

Heritage High sophomore John Hooper is doing something extraordinary. For his Eagle Scout project, John is collecting Legos to construct travel Lego kits for the foster children in our area. I had the opportunity to talk to him about this project. “I’m doing this for my Eagle Scout Project, which requires me to do a service project that will help the community out, so I decided to collect Legos to make into travel kits that I am going to give to foster kids so they can take them with them,” said John, “I got the idea when I saw a similar picture online. I was like ‘that’s pretty cool.’ I knew I needed to do a service project, and it sounded like something that I could do and get some good out of.”  John applied for and received a $1,000 grant to complete his project. “I was really nervous. This month they were giving out a couple of grants, so I felt a little optimistic. I got there and there were a lot of people, and a lot of good ideas. I think there were 40-something entries, but they liked mine the most and I came out on top with the most votes,” said John. “We haven’t had too many [donations] yet but it’s going to be going on for about two weeks, so hopefully more people will donate.” Collection bins for the Legos will be set up in the main offices of Heritage High and Heritage Middle school from February 27 to March 9. Please bring in your old Legos and donate them to this wonderful cause. “We can use as many Legos as you can give us; the more we can get, the more boxes we can make. All remaining Legos will be sent out to other organizations,” said John.