HHS NAMED AP HONOR SCHOOL

Hannah Roberts, Staff Writer

Recently, Heritage High School was named an advanced placement honor school by the State of Georgia in three different categories. This is the seventh time that HHS has been an AP Honor School, and this time it was in humanities, STEM, and STEM achievement. This was announced by Superintendent Richard Woods on February 27 along with 674 other advanced placement honor schools. He then stated that the number of students and schools doing well with college-level courses is continuing to increase. Our school offers around 15 advanced placement courses that you can take, including things like chemistry, biology, calculus, English literature, studio art, and Spanish. There are also exams for each AP course that can be taken at the end of every year; colleges typically accept scores from 3-5 for a class credit on the scale of 1-5. As an AP humanity school, we have students testing in AP exams for at least one English course, two social studies courses, one fine arts course, and one world language course. For AP STEM schools, students must be testing in two AP math and science courses. As a STEM achievement school, students are taking AP tests in at least two math courses, two science courses, and have overall higher scores that qualify for this. There are also categories for AP challenge schools, AP access and support schools, and AP merit schools. These were named based on the scores of the 2016 advanced placement courses and exams throughout various schools. The Georgia Department of Education first started naming AP schools in 2008, and since then, the number of them has only increased.