EDITORIAL: LIVING UP TO THE HYPE

Trevin Kalick, Sports Editor

It’s that time of the year where everyone and their mothers are talking about prom. I’m sure right now, you can’t go on Instagram or Twitter without seeing a bunch of pictures from different peoples prom. I got the great honor this year to go to my very first prom and it definitely lived up to the hype. Before this year, I was never very big on going to prom and never saw myself really ever going. I didn’t have a problem with prom or anyone that went to them; I just didn’t see myself going to one ever in my life. Then I found myself a girl that I really wanted to see all dressed up and just spend my night with. I asked my girlfriend to prom on February 18 and I will never regret it for the rest of my life.

Like I said, prom was never a big deal to me or my date, but we were so wrong. Let me run you down on why prom was the best day of my life. First off, my girlfriend wore the most gorgeous dress I have ever seen. She was the most beautiful, stunning, and really the only girl in the room to me. She made my heart stop as soon as I saw her in her dress. Then she got to see me all dressed up in my grey tux, with a pink bowtie to match her dress. We absolutely killed it, but I’m not trying to brag at all. Everyone at prom looked amazing, that’s the best thing about prom. You get to dress as fancy as you want, and no one cares because it’s prom.

Now the only thing I really didn’t like about prom was all of the grinding that was going on. If you were at prom, you know what I’m talking about. I understand that prom is about dancing with the boy or girl that you came with, but do you really have to be all up on them with everyone watching you. Save some stuff for after prom, but when you’re there try to actually look at your date, love them, and dance with them. My absolute favorite part of prom night was getting to slow dance with the girl I love. I got to hold her close and just be intimate with her, but in a way that is classy and not demeaning. I don’t want to judge super hardcore, so next year if you want to grind on your date, you do you.

With that being said, that was really a small portion of prom; in all, prom was the best night of my life. I made so many lifelong memories that I’ll always be able to remember and have them put a smile on my face. If you’re in high school and are on the fence about going to prom next year, my advice is to go and have fun. Even if you aren’t dating anyone, just go with a group of friends and throw all your cares out the window. I promise you, with the right person or group, it’ll be the best night of your life.