EDITORIAL: SUMMER READING FOR THE WIN

S. Shaver & B. Hall

Makaela Patten, Staff Writer

Imagine this: the weather is perfect, no clouds, blue skies, hot sun, and the last bell of the year just rung. Everyone rushes out to their car, their mom’s car, their bus, whatever means of transportation they are using that day, and heads home. The only thing anyone can think about is the cookouts, hanging out with friends, swimming, going on vacation, sleeping in late, oh, and that dreaded ‘Heritage High School Summer Reading List.’ If you live completely sheltered from the rest of the world, or our high school at least, you may not know what one of these delightful things are. A summer reading list (at Heritage) is an assigned list of books to read over the summer for upcoming 9, 10, 11, and 12 grade honors and AP language students. These students are assigned one book that they are required to read, and then a list of four books that they have to choose two of and read. Students have to purchase, checkout from the local library, or borrow these books solely for summer reading, complete a MWD (Major Works Data) sheet for each book, and take a test on them when the school year starts back up. A lot of students participating in this enterprise absolutely despise doing so, however, I don’t mind summer reading all that much. I’m a firm believer of, and a strong advocate for, trying new things. So when I am given the opportunity, I usually do so. I thoroughly enjoy reading. For me, summer reading compiles both of these things quite nicely. I love going to the bookstore, buying new books I’ve never heard of, and sitting down to read them. Reading these books is great to do when you’re just sitting at home during the summer, on a long car ride, or whilst sitting by the pool getting a tan. It keeps me busy and prevents me from sitting at home all day, staring mindlessly into a lit screen, and decreasing my amount of brain cells by the minute, which is likely to happen if it weren’t for summer reading. This has also helped me discover some of my favorite books such as ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ and ‘The Book Thief.” (Which are both phenomenal works, but be prepared for the emotional roller coasters.) I could see why some people may not enjoy it though. When you take your language class (whether it is first or second semester) you will study the required book that everyone in your grade had to take, also, in the first couple of weeks of school you take test over the books of your choice that you read. Most students don’t even attempt to read the books. For me, the good outweighs the bad. I will continue to take honors language, read my three books over the summer, and enjoy it.