IT’S NEVER TOO LATE FOR HERITAGE READS

H.+Roberts

H. Roberts

H. Roberts

Hannah Roberts, News Editor

At the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, Mrs. Sixto started the Heritage Reads program to encourage reading outside of the classroom setting. This is the first time that the school has had a program like this, and many popular books are included. While a few months have already passed, it’s not too late to participate in this. For each book a student reads, they’re working towards earning a prize. Depending on how much they read, they can eventually get more prizes. Since the first two deadlines have already passed, three books have to be read by the third deadline on January 25 where goodie bags and tickets to an athletic event will be given out. If you have already read books on the list, that counts towards the three.

There are six total awards, including a Barnes & Noble gift card and a field trip. According to Mrs. Sixto, “I want them to experience the ability to choose other types of literature . . . I think there are so many benefits that come along with reading on a regular basis. Whether preparing for entrance exams or escaping your daily life, it’s such a great outlet.” Because of this, many books and genres are on the reading list with books like “We were Liars,” “The Serpent King,” “The Sun is Also a Star,” “Magonia,” and a variety of others. Mrs. Sixto has more information to give out about how to get credit for reading some of these books, and people previously uninvolved in it are welcome.