WHAT IT’S LIKE TO HAVE AN INDEPENDENT STUDY

H. Roberts

H. Roberts

H. Roberts

Hannah Roberts, News Editor

With registration for the 2018-2019 school year already open, it’s time to think about what classes to take for next year. This is especially true since the deadline to sign up for wanted classes is on March 8, a Thursday. There are a lot of things to decide, and if you want a career in something that doesn’t necessarily have a set career path here at Heritage with classes for you to take, it can be hard to come up with a schedule that seems relevant to what you want to do. I had heard about people who did independent studies with teachers before, but I never actually knew the process until I was trying to have two different ones in one semester. Basically, to have an independent study in a subject, you will need approval from Ms. Stephens and whatever teacher you want the class with before they can create an individual course for you. During the time that you have the class, you’ll be working much more independently because no one else is studying the same things that you are. The two independent studies that I have are in creative writing and Spanish four, and I like them better than the typical class. You have much more freedom to move at your own pace, which can be great for some students who tends to move a little bit faster than everyone else in their classes. Even though it takes a little work to set this up, they’re great if the school agrees to it.