WRESTLING FOR STATE

K.+Combs

K. Combs

K. Combs

Cade Ogle, Sports Writer

The Heritage High School wrestling team made headlines once again recently as they qualify for state sectionals. The Generals competed in an area 6 AAAA match and ended up placing 3rd. Gilmer finished in the top spot and pickens placed 2nd with only 5.5 points more than Heritage which is even more disappointing when you learn that returning state medalist, Jeffery Curtis got sick just before the match and had no choice but to injury default which made him get 4th place in his weight class. Fortunately, even with this loss he still managed to qualify for state sectionals which easily makes up for the lost points his sickness cost, which actually hurt the General’s team points pretty bad.  On a happier note, the team had 9 wrestlers that qualified to go to state sectionals which is an improvement from last year as they only had 8. To qualify for this event you would need to place in the top four of your weight class and that may seem like a challenge, but our five star wrestling team showed that if anyone could accomplish this feat, it would be them. Our team of qualifiers consist of Ryan Craft, Ian Burgett, Tyler Tomey, Garett Stephens, Spencer Davies, Alex eacret, Drake Parker, Zach Brown, and Jeffery Curtis. If you or someone you know would be interested in going to see the Generals compete in state sectionals, then come to Woodward Academy next Friday and Saturday and be prepared to have a great time seeing Heritage mopping the floor with the opposing teams.