PREPARING FOR AP

H.+Roberts

H. Roberts

H. Roberts

Hannah Roberts, News Editor

Once again, it is time to sign up for the end of the year AP exams. Even though these typically take place in the month of May, the deadline to sign up to take them is March 23. To sign up and see what tests you may be interested in taking, you can get a form in the guidance office. This year, the Advanced Placement exams being offered are Chemistry, Spanish, English Literature, United States Government, United States History, Studio Art, Biology, Calculus AB and BC, English Language, World History, Microeconomics, Human Geography, Psychology, Physics, Environmental Science, and Statistics. If you want to take one or multiple of these, the cost is $94, but there is a separate form for anyone who is on free or reduced lunch. If you are, then you will have one free exam and all others will cost $53. This year, the school has a new policy. Students who are not on reduced lunch can still take one STEM AP exam for free, and this includes any math or science subject. There is no limit other than cost and scheduling conflicts to how many exams you can take, and the dates range from May 7 to May 18 with a break in the middle for the weekend. The tests vary in length and some take more time than others do, but on average, it typically takes a few hours. Taking these AP exams is a good way for underclassmen to prepare for tests like the SAT and ACT, so even if you don’t do well enough to get out of the college course, it can still be beneficial to you.