The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Meeting Shalaya Williams

Kaya Bradford interviews new Journalism staff member Shalaya Williams
Meeting Shalaya Williams

Shalaya Williams is a junior here at Heritage, being semi-new. Williams joined the Generals during last year’s spring semester. She moved to Heritage from Adairsville High School. She said, “I loved that school. If I could go back, I definitely would.” Williams was “just more involved” there and loved it “because of the people.” As for Heritage, she noted that she’s had both positive and negative experiences here. Williams enjoys some of the freedoms and activities that high school provides but would rather read a book, draw, or talk to her loved ones than attend school. Her favorite high school experience happened during her freshman year: “I tried out for the school cabaret with my friends,” she said, which was a mostly musical medley of plays. Williams was cast in two roles and, because of cheer practice, missed a lot of the rehearsals, meaning she mostly improvised the dancing routine. Despite that, “it was a fun experience to do with my friends.”

Williams enjoys many different artists from varying genres, including Chase Atlantic, Lil Peep, $uicideboy$, Arctic Monkeys, and The Neighborhood. She also enjoys making art and plans on being a tattoo artist as a creative outlet, as well as getting some of her own once she can. Her biggest motivator is the thought of succeeding in life and making it to college. She plans on going to an art school in the future, though she isn’t sure which school she wants to attend. William’s biggest fear, though, is leaving her siblings or family behind when leaving for college or for other reasons.

Williams is a dog person. Her favorite breeds are Dobermans and Great Danes, and she has a Great Dane named Santana. She said if she could live anywhere, she would want to move out of the United States. She doesn’t have a specific place in mind, but, she said, “Italy or France could be nice,” specifically Paris. If Williams could change one thing in our world, it would be the judgmental mindset people have. She said, “If something is making someone else happy, and it doesn’t affect you, you shouldn’t care. It shouldn’t bother you that someone else’s kid is doing something you disagree with. The entire concept is outdated.”

Williams also enjoys a variety of shows and movies, her favorite movies being “Coraline” and “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.” She said if she was in “Coraline,” her buttons would be sage green, which is her favorite color. Her favorite shows are “On My Block” and “The Summer I Turned Pretty.” (She’s team Jeremiah over Conrad.). Shalaya may seem quiet at first, but she has an amazing personality. She’s funny, kind, and genuine. She is definitely a person you want to befriend in her remaining years here at Heritage. She will 100% succeed in whatever career she decides to pursue.`