The General Journal

The student news site of Heritage High School

The General Journal

The General Journal

Slash into Halloween – “Scream” 1996 Review

Have you debated watching the cult classic movie “Scream” this Halloween? Then join Shalaya as she reviews this amazing movie!
Natalie Ferry

The slasher horror film “Scream” has gained a lot more attention these past few years from various social media platforms. Whether it’s from the lines, “No please don’t kill me Mr. Ghostface! I wanna be in the sequel,” or the iconic “Scream” mask, the movie scream always makes a comeback every Halloween. After seeing a few spoilers on social media, I wanted to watch it for myself.  Overall, I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. I like how it’s not really a scary movie. While it’s a little gory overall, the scare rate is a 1 out of 5. I think it’s more of a comedy film than horror. However, I did enjoy playing the guessing game on who’s the killer. When you think you know who it is they give you more details to make you second guess yourself. Another thing I enjoyed about Scream was how they built off Maureen Prescott’s, Sydney’s mom, death anniversary.

While there were a lot of good things about the movie, the only thing I disliked was how it started. In the beginning it starts with the introduction of the killer, but the story follows the main character and the killer stalking her up until her mother’s death anniversary. So, when it starts off with Casey, the first victim, getting a phone call from the killer, I don’t think it was relevant to start off with that. It adds minor details to the actual storyline, but still provides an introduction to the character “Ghostface.” While the first scream might not be everyone’s favorite, it allowed for better sequels to come.