NEW MUTANTS

Shane Morehead, Staff Writer

Another spin off of the wildly successful “X-Men” franchise is now officially being worked on. The movie was first announced in May of 2015, but pre production has just started in Boston. Scouts have also looked at Medfield State Hospital, where Martin Scorsese directed scenes of “Shutter Island.” The cast hasn’t been confirmed yet, but it’s rumored that James McAvoy might reprise his role as Professor Charles Xavier. While the movie follows students of his school, he’s not expected to have a huge part in the action or plot. “Game Of Thrones” star Maisie Williams has been considered for a role in the movie as Wolfsbane. “Split” actor Taylor-Joy is rumored to be playing Magik. The actor for Storm in “X-Men: Apocalypse” is expected to return. Not much other information has been released about the movie, other than the writer, Josh Boone. Boone doesn’t have many movies to his name. He’s well known for directing “The Fault In Our Stars.” It’s rumored that the movie could be loosely based on the comic series of the same name. The comics follow The New Mutants, a group of teenaged superheroes in training. The comics are noted for highlighting interpersonal and group conflict, and also action and adventure. They include characters such as Wolfsbane, who can turn into a wolf like creature, Mirage, who can create three dimensional illusions, Sunspot, a 14 year old Brazilian billionaire that gains his power from the sun, Magma, a native of a secret Roman colony that controls lava, Magik, who can open “teleportation discs,” and many more. As with any “X-Men movie,” it’s almost guaranteed that it will do well in theaters.