A Spell of Fun at Heritage

Photo by Colton Sturgeon on Unsplash

Ella Debity, Staff Writer

Halloween is a great time of year. People get together with their friends and go house to house getting their favorite sweet treats and dressing up as something that they get to enjoy. This year, Halloween is still happening, but not as many people are wanting to do things for the holiday. Less people are going to hand out candy or even want to go out of the house. This isn’t the end of the fun though, as on October 27th, there is going to be a monstrous movie night at Heritage High.

Every year for the past four years, the CTAE clubs such as FFA, SkillsUSA, HOSA, and FCCLA, have gotten together to have a movie night with each other. All the kids that are in intro or advanced CTAE classes that want to check out what it might be like to be in any of these school clubs are welcome and encouraged to join if they want to.

This year’s exciting movie experience will not be like the ones in the years previous. Unlike most years this event has taken place, Hocus Pocus will be shown in the Academic Courtyard. This is different than the normal location, the school theater, but Mrs. Handy and Mrs. Byrd, as well as their students, came up with the idea of a Haunted Halloween Courtyard. There will be tricks, there will be treats, but most importantly there will be your friends. It is guaranteed to be a fun night!

Let’s be honest, instead of watching movies made for this time of year with other people, a lot of us may just watch them on our own. Watching the movies we grew up with always provides a release of serotonin and happiness, making us feel like little kids again. For the hour and a half that it is being played, “Hocus Pocus,” for the people that watched it as kids, will bring back fun memories and give you a chance to talk about your favorite Halloween moments.

If you’ve never seen “Hocus Pocus,” it’s a family, comedic movie that was made in 1993. It is about a teenager who accidentally brings three witches back to life and, with the help of a 300 year old black cat, has to try to outlast the trio and put them back where they came from. This movie was chosen for a number of reasons, but mostly because the sponsors thought it would fit the school atmosphere and that almost everyone loves it already.

Having this movie night is supposed to be a way for kids to just have fun, relax, and enjoy themselves for at least one night. So, again, on October 27th, from 7-8:30pm in the academic courtyard, everyone in CTAE clubs or classes is welcome to come and have a fantastic night with each other and not have to stress for a couple of hours. Halloween might not be as spooky this year, but with the help of these clubs, that doesn’t mean that it won’t be more fun.