NOT JUST A HAIR PRODUCT …

Makaela Patten, Staff Writer

Heritage High School is going to be doing the musical “Hairspray” this summer. I spoke to Ms. Peters, one of the art teachers and the director of our fall musicals, to get details on the upcoming performance. “We are doing a summer musical. Heritage is producing it, but it is a community show. The whole point is to give some kids more theater experience to improve our own shows here, but also, we are hoping to make a little money for our program,” said Ms. Peters. For anyone looking to try out, they will be held on May eighth and ninth. “Any current eighth grader, Heritage student, Alumni, and any adults in the community can try out. You don’t necessarily need to be a high school student from Heritage, you could go to another school,” said Ms. Peters. Typically, there is a 50 dollar musical fee to be in the school shows, but that is never a deal breaker for someone to audition. There will be four shows, three of them being evening shows. They will take place on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, July 27, 28, and 29. Tickets will be 12 and 15 dollars, and then there will be a Saturday matinee. All tickets for the matinee will be 10 dollars. “I think if anyone is interested in trying out, they have nothing to lose. We are looking at everyone. Come out with an open mind. We typically ask students to sing a song from a musical when auditioning, but that is not required, you can sing anything. Also, bring shoes that you are comfortable dancing in, because this is a heavy dance show,” said Ms. Peters, “even if you are not big into performing, come and see it. I think it will be a really good show, and will be a good experience for kids who love to sing. This is something good for the school as well, it has never been done before.”