WHERE FRIENDSHIPS ARE MADE

P.+Johnson

P. Johnson

P. Johnson

Paige Johnson, News Writer

Before high school started, the one class I knew for sure that I wanted to take was Journalism. When signing up for my classes, that was the first one I chose. No one I knew was taking this class, but I did not let that stop me. I have always been intrigued with writing, and I plan to major in journalism. While it was unfortunate that I did not have any friends with that class, finding new friends was not hard. The class only has eight people in it, which was kind of relieving and kind of stressful – relieving because there were not many people to worry about, and stressful because all of the people in there were already familiar with each other. The other students were very welcoming, outgoing, and they made an effort to make the new people feel welcome. They will wave or speak to you in the hallway, and they are always happy to help or answer any questions I have. After the first week, I was no longer worried about not having anyone I was close with in that class. In fact, I have met one of my best friends there.

Although we do have fun with each other, that is not all we do. We have two articles due a week, and we work on the yearbook. It is interesting because by writing our articles and working on the yearbook, we get to interact with a variety of different students. We also have a lot of interactions with each other, given that we have many group discussions about multiple different topics. Everyone in that class is so different from each other because we all have different styles and different personalities, yet everybody gets along. We do have one thing in common, and that is our love for writing.

My worries about not knowing anyone are no longer worries. I am very thankful to have had the opportunity to do what I love and make new friends of all ages while doing it. Journalism is an opportunity not many people take, but I am so glad that I chose to take this class thanks to the incredible people I have met this year.